Most Recent Post
Better Movement & You
by Matt Hines
Let's jam about our programming and how it relates to YOU. We use a wide range of movements at CFG, but rest assured there is a method to our madness. We make sure to program the workouts that best suit the needs of you and our community as a whole.
This is why we start our members with 1 on 1 coaching. We want to know YOU and your needs, not just jam you into a group class. Health and longevity are always a top priority so we want to minimize injury risk while at the same time not blunting your fitness. Here's what we are thinking about when it comes to making you a better mover and getting you fit:
We are thinking about key 5 categories:
- Flexibility - This is your passive range of motion. Passive means we are not factoring in strength or control of a particular position or movement. For example, can you bend forward and touch the ground while keeping your legs straight? This is hip and posterior chain flexibility.
- Mobility - Active range of motion. This adds an element of strength and control to a certain shape or position. For example, can you bend forward while standing on one straight leg and holding a load?
- Strength Balance - Understanding and programming the correct ratios of movements and positions. For example, you should be able to suitcase carry 50% of your deadlift in one hand. You should have a 1:1 side to side balance ratio.
- Work:Rest Ratio - How often and how hard you workout in relation to how often you rest. Also, what type of rest are you getting? Needs vary from person to person depending on a number of variables. This is why we want to know you and your goals.
- Skill - Your motor control aka technique. The mind-muscle connection is overlooked in many programs. This is why we often like to layer complexity into your movementprogressions. You need balance, agility, coordination, and accuracy adaptations if you truly want to be well rounded and constantly improving.
As you go through different seasons of your fitness journey you will have different goals and needs. The main priority is to stay healthy and pain-free so that you can continue to what you love. If you want to dive deeper into any of these categories, make sure to let a coach know! ONWARD!